I have just experienced a delightful little conversation with dearest mother and father, in which they extolled the virtues of A*s, and called my GCSE grades 'poor'. Really, Dad? 7 As is poor, huh? Thanks for that.
Additionally, a few weeks ago...actually, I seem to recall, the day after I got my results, I was told by the both of them that my GCSEs were now 'in the past', that they were 'very good', and that there was 'no point discussing or worrying about them now, because what's done is done'. Way to go guys, because contradicting yourself and behaving in a hypocritical fashion is a fantastic way to raise your children. It teaches them such important values.
Actually, there's something else I'd like to complain about, too. Alright, I can understand the need to discuss your children, I get that it's because we're important to you, blah blah blah... but is it absolutely necessary to do so in full and obvious hearing of said child? Or, in fact, the other children too? That's right, ladies and gentlemen of the Internet. My parents enjoy discussing my and my siblings' failures and futures at the dinner table. At the bloody dinner table.
Do they honestly not realise how embarrassing this is for us, or do they just not care? My money is on the latter.
Update: have now had the conciliatory talk with Mum, where she comes into my room and reminds me that she 'still loves me'... so what, that was called into question? Also, why do parents feel the need, when it's just you and the one of them, to talk in the plural? "We only want what's best for you, Rebecca." Great, so now you can read Dad's mind? ...Can you read mine?
I have to invest in a tin-foil hat.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Becca, at the end of the day, as long as YOU are happy with your grades, that is all that matters. And your grades were indeed fantastic! Some people would chew off their arm for those results! :L
ReplyDeleteA is above average, and believe me, those As will get you far. They've got you into your college, and when you in future combine them with your no-doubt great A level results, you will go where you want to go, universities will want you more than a cupcake! So don't get downheartened, okay? :)
And as for the whole "parents talking infront of you about you" situation, totally agree. Happens all the time! :P